In the 17th century, a great religious upheaval in England led to the formation of several independent denominations.
One of the first dissenting congregations was founded in Barnet in 1668 and became ‘Wood St, Congregational church’.
In 1972 most of the English Congregationalists and the Presbyterian Church joined to become the United Reformed Church. This was the first major example of Church Union.
In the 1930s, Wood St Congregational church was aware of a new estate at the bottom of the hill and their spiritual needs. Open-air services were held and, in due course, it was decided to build a ‘Church Hall, Chesterfield Road’ as an extension of Wood Streets work.
A piece of land was purchased from the estate of the Earl of Chesterfield (for £250!) And the hall was built for £4000. It was opened in 1935.
Until the end of 1985, the Minister at Wood Street also had charge of Chesterfield Road. He was assisted by a London City Missioner who was specifically responsible for Chesterfield Road. The most notable of these was John Tunnard who was superintendent for 30 years.
During the ministry of the Rev Derek Stockwell, the Rev Bob Maitland became directly responsible for Chesterfield Road. During his ministry, Chesterfield Road made the decision to become independently run and elected its own Elders for the first time.
In 1989 Rev Bob Maitland left to take up full-time Ministry. The late Rev Peter Norcross, another non-stipendiary Minister was Ordained and Inducted. He travelled from Welwyn Garden City regularly for three years to oversee the work at Chesterfield Road.
In October 1993, the members of both churches, Wood Street and Chesterfield Road, agreed unanimously to ‘call’ the Rev Dr Roland White to be the Minister of both churches.
In 2003 Susan McKenzie was called, Ordained, and Inducted to both Chesterfield Road and Wood Street churches. During her 8 ½ year ministry we welcomed two student ministers on their placement years. We also became part of ‘Churches Together for Chipping Barnet (CTfCB), which consists of five Church of England, a Baptist, Methodist, two United formed churches and a Roman Catholic Church. We also developed links with two neighbouring churches, Underhill Baptist Church and St Stephen’s C of E church.
Since the Rev Sue McKenzie left in 2012, we have continued to hold a service every Sunday, reaching out to available lay preachers and ministers who are willing to lead worship.
In 2018 we amalgamated with St Andrews Borehamwood and became St Andrew's Chesterfield Road URC.
In 2020 both Chesterfield Road and Wood Street URC churches called the Rev Dominic Grant to become their minister. He was inducted in November 2020.
At 10 am on Sunday mornings we meet for family worship.
At present we are proposing to redevelop the church site to replace our present premises which are in a bad state of repair and ‘Not fit for Purpose’. The site will be replaced by a terrace of five houses and a New Church and Community Hall with all modern amenities. This process has been ongoing for 18 years with Barnet planning officers putting up various objections.
“Jesus sent them out to tell about God’s Kingdom”